So with the meat industry becoming under-scrutiny and a lot of people doing meat-free mondays we thought we would try and get more creative with some vegetarian dishes.
Don’t get me wrong I do still love a good steak or mums home cooked roast but there are so many other ways to get in the protein you need (its not actually as much as you think!). Animal cruelty and factory farms are something I am big against and so for me predominately vegetarian meals are not only cheaper but better for the environment too 🙂
Please let me know if you guys make this by tagging me on instagram @scm.fitness and let me know your thoughts.
(For some reason it isn’t letting me upload the photo but see here for what it comes out like)
- 250g spiralized butternut squash (boodles- can buy premade or make your own – Lakeland spiralizer is my favourite)
- 1 clove of garlic
- 150g mushrooms
- (we were limited but any other veg of your choice)
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp quark (soft cheese found in the dairy section in tesco – normally end of aisle)
- 2 tbsp nut butter (we used meridian cashew)
- 1 squeezed lemon
- chilli flakes to season
- Add a tsp coconut oil to a large frying pan and heat on med heat
- Add in the chopped garlic and sliced mushrooms
- Meanwhile blend together quark, nut butter and lemon juice – taste test and adjust according to how creamy you like it
- When the mushrooms are starting to soften add the boodles, tossing the pan regularly ensuring you don’t burn them
- the boodles will start to feel firmer and at this point add the combined mixture of nut butter, quark and lemon juice.
- heat for a further couple of minutes until combined, stirring in some chilli flakes/ season of choice
- Plate up, adding a little more yogurt/seasoning as you desire
- Get that insta perfect picture and share with all your friends and ENJOY!
We are thinking of also creating this recipe with a homemade pesto sauce and shall be sure to share with you in the next couple of weeks. Any other ideas or suggestions please comment below or message me on my Instagram – looking forward to seeing your creations !