So you may or may not know what ‘zoats’ are but one thing is for sure they are hugely popular (especially with the girls) in the fitness world at the moment.
Now before you read whats in them have an open mind and whats the harm in trying!
What Exactly Are They?
You may or may not have heard of the term ‘proats’ which is protein powder and oats well zoats is basically courgette and oats combined to make eating 30/40g oats a hell of a big bowl and whilst it doesn’t quite go as doughy as normal oats I have listed below my top tips to make the perfect bowl!
- 1/2 medium courgette
- 40g (gluten-free) oats
- 1 scoop protein of choice (I used Optimum Nutrition Casein as thicker consistency-cheapest on Muscle Food and SM190331 gets your free meat with your first order)
- 50g quark (fat-free soft cheese found in most supermarkets) or greek yogurt (I use FAGE total)
- 1 banana
- toppings of choice I used baobab (currently on sale!) and cacao powder (caramel chocolate flavour – could be used instead of protein) and Pip & Nut Honey Cinaemmon Cashew Butter, Cacao Nibs and Bloobs
- Place oats and FINELY grated courgette (don’t want huge lumps – my first mistake) with water just about covering the mixture
- Place on medium heat and leave for 1 min then stir until mixture starts to combine and thicken (roughly 2/3mins), giving a bit of a green yucky looking mixture (don’t be put off!)
- If becoming a little dry add a little more water taking care not to flood – (you want a little bit of water excess water especially if adding casein)
- Add in mashed banana, any flavourings e.g. lucuma and cacao and the quark/greek yogurt – eave on heat for another minute continuing to stir.
- Once happy with consistency and it is throughly combined take off the heat and mix in protein of choice
- I also at this stage add in a couple of frozen berries and stir to melt into the mixture – Yum!
- Place in a bowl or eat straight from the pan (if your like me) and don’t forget to share your photos on Instagram and let me know what you think 🙂
Hope you guys enjoy this, it is a great way to feel like your eating a lot without any consuming many calories at all – double your bowl size, get in some greens and all for next to no added calories, winner!!